Sakkarai Pongal is a traditional South Indian Sweet to do during Pongal time. My mom used to do this Sakkarai Pongal in brass vessel to add traditional touch to this wonderful recipe. This recipe is not so tough as part of cooking can be completed in pressure cooker. The remaining part is just mixing up jaggery with the cooked gal rice mixture. I got this recipe from my mom and prepared at home. It came out so well and gave me confidence to try out other new recipes
Preparation Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Serves: 2-3
- Raw rice 3/4 cup
- Moong dal 3 tblsp
- Jaggery 1 cup (reduce to 3/4 th cup acc to the sweetness of the jaggery)
- Cashew nuts 10
- Raisins few
- Cardamom powder a pinch
- Ghee 3-4 tblsp
- Milk 1/4 cup
- Wash the Rice and Moong dal.
- In a pressure cook, add a tbsp ghee, then add Rice and Moong dal( fry in ghee for 2 minutes).
- Add water and pressure cook for 3 whistles
- In a kadai,add a tblsp of ghee and fry the cashewnuts and raisins seperately till golden brown.
- Keep aside.
- Add jaggery in the kadai and add a few tblsp of water to it.
- Stir in between till the jaggery melts.
- Filter the impurities.
- Again heat the jaggery syrup in the kadai for 5 mins.
- Mash the cooked rice nicely by adding milk to it.
- Add the rice mixture to the jaggery syrup.
- Mix nicely to avoid forming lumps
- Keep the stove in low flame.
- Add ghee ,elachi powder to it.
- Garnish with cashew and raisins and transfer to a serving bowl.